Spring and summer are full of fun activities and trips, and these bars are a perfect option to make ahead of time and take with you! They take just 20 minutes and can be a fun way to spend time with your spouse, kids or grandkids while also making a yummy treat.
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped nuts (one kind or a combination of almonds, walnuts, or pecans)
- 3/4 cup dried fruit (one kind or a combination of raisins, currants, dried cranberries, or chopped dates, plums, apricots, or peaches)
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup crisp rice cereal
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup almond or peanut butter
- 1/4 cup honey, real maple syrup, or agave syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line the pan with waxed or parchment paper or aluminum foil and leave enough hanging over the edges so you can cover the bars later. (You will need a little more than twice as much as the bottom of the pan.)
- Put the nuts, dried fruit, oats, rice cereal and coconut in the large bowl and mix well.
- Put the almond butter and honey in the small bowl and microwave until the almond butter is softened, about 30 seconds. Stir until smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract and stir again until smooth.
- Pour the almond mixture into the large bowl and mix until well combined.
- Put the mixture into the prepared pan and pat down as hard as you can. You want to make the bars dense.
- Using the overhanging waxed paper, cover the bars completely.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Using the knife, cut into 16 bars.
Recipe adapted from Grandparents.com. You can see the full recipe here.