Many individuals that suffer from incontinence are unaware that certain foods may trigger symptoms. Our previous blog post about diet modification discusses how certain foods and drinks can negatively affect your incontinence, but what about the upside? Are there foods that can lessen the symptoms of your incontinence? Indeed, there are!
Studies suggest that maintaining a diet that is high in fiber can help to alleviate symptoms of incontinence. Eating more fiber keeps you from becoming constipated, which is ideal for incontinence. Constipation puts undue and excess pressure on your bladder, which can agitate incontinence.
Additionally, eating more unprocessed foods can be quite beneficial when it comes to matters of the bladder. Processed foods contain preservatives, as well as MSG, which have the potential to cause irritation. Avoiding these foods provides another benefit, it will promote your overall health!
To supplement the dietary information we’ve provided, we’ll be posting a monthly recipe to show just how many options you have within these parameters. This month’s culinary creation is quinoa and black beans!
Quinoa and Black Bean Recipe
Recipe Time: 50 Minutes
– 15 minutes of preparation
– 35 minutes of cooking
Gather the following ingredients:
- 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- ¾ cup of uncooked quinoa
- 1 ½ cup of vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of frozen corn kernels
- 2 (15 ounce) cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup of chopped fresh cilantro
1. Start by heating the oil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the garlic and onion, and sauté until lightly browned.
2. Next, mix the quinoa into the saucepan and cover it with vegetable broth. Season the mix with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Now, stir in the frozen corn, and continue to simmer for about 5 minutes until everything is heated throughout. Then, mix in the black beans and cilantro, and enjoy!
This quinoa and black bean dish is a tasty way to fill up without upsetting your incontinence symptoms. Be sure to look out for more recipes coming soon, as well as additional information regarding Wearever, our products, and incontinence.